Reviews of trade paperbacks of comic books (mostly Marvel), along with a few other semi-relevant comments / reviews.

06 May 2010

A Real Excuse, This Time

I missed putting up a review today. You, the loyal reader, deserve a better excuse than “my personal life was crazy” or “I was crushed by the amount of work I had to do this week.” Frankly, you can get those kind of excuses anywhere, and we all know they’re lies, just excuses for being too lazy to put in the kind of quality work an unpaid “labor of love” deserves. So you get a better excuse. Like this one:

OK, this isn’t one of my normal excuses. It’s the real reason I haven’t been posting any reviews here.

I’ve been finishing up the book my wife and I are writing. It’s called Comic Book Collections for Libraries. It’s not a general interest title, but it tries to make the case to librarians that libraries should start graphic novel collections and should, in fact, make a solid part of that collection books that comic-book fans actually buy and read. The manuscript was due on April 30, and I managed to turn in the 60,000 words my wife and I had written over the past ten or eleven months on time.

The book will come out in December. It will have (some) pictures. I fear it will have some omission or misstatement that will leave me open to humiliation; I hope it will sell out and have to go back for more printings. Realistically, it will probably end up somewhere in between.

So. It was a big drain on my time and my brain; last Friday, I walked around in a daze. I’m getting back to normal, although this is what I’ve been reading lately:

Incredible Hulk #270 cover

It’s the Hulk. In this issue, he punches a giant space mouth. And it makes me happy.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Marc said...

Congratulations on finishing the book! Please be sure to let us know when it comes out, and I'll certainly check it out.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Raoul said...

Thanks! I appreciate it. Like I said, though, it’s not really a general-interest book; you’re unlikely to see it in your local bookstore. The best place to see it is at your local university or large public library (or you can interlibrary loan it); you’ll probably see it on sale only on Amazon. I’ll post a link when it becomes available.

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home